Monday, December 26, 2005

Music - a MUST in my life

I am rekindling my passion for classical music.My mother, a student to Smt. Joya Biswas (The first lady sitarist/student of Pundit Ravi Shankar), and two time "Best Student" medal winner at the Calcutta School of Music, was the person who introduced me to the world of classical music as early as i was nestled cosily in her womb!
I am told that at the age of just 1 1/2 years i was enrolled in the Calcutta School of Music after clearing their preliminary test, a time when i was not even level with the harmonium box while being seated. My mother was also the person who taught me my very first classical song " Guru Hamaare"--raag Bhairavi. And this has been the song that i have never failed to sing at every one of my music competitions.This was the song that fetched me my first Interschool Classical Singing Award in 1991.

Although i don't sing anymore, i continue to cultivate a lot of interest in music. I listen to Carnatic music almost everyday.My favourites are Dr. Balamurali krishnan, MS Subbalakshmi, DK Pattamal and Sowmya.My favourite ragaams are Bhairavi, kapi & kalyani.
Hey i have a question for you if you are a carnatic enthusiast....
have you heard of this song " Manaivi amaivadellam kadavul koduthha varam" ....is it a film song? who is it by? i can't seem to find it online!
Classical is not the only form i am inclined to.Music by Alicia Keys, Pearl Jam, Linkin Park, Metallica, Alanis Morissette, Gwen stefani...........enrapture me.
When i need to clear my head i listen to "kandashashti kavacham" and that always helps me.When i feel lonely i listen to Alicia Keys and when i get angry i listen to Eminem followed by "Mahishasura Mardini" to cool off (strange i know!!).

I have picked out songs for every moment, experience ....one song that comes close to my personality (i think) is " I am a bitch, i am a lover, i am a child, i am a mother, i am a sinner, i am a saint, i do not feel ashamed............so take me as i am"--Alanis Morissette.
If i ever find the love of my life... someday.... this is the song i would sing to him..."Its the way you love me...."--Faith Hill or "If I ain't got you"--Alicia Keys :-D

Well hopefully there's a lot of time for me to tune my vocal chords for that!
The new album by Jay-Z and Linkin park is damn good...especially "points of authority" although i never try to make sense out of the lyrics, they sound real good.
Oh yes i am also a big Frank Sinatra fan and coming back to the love of my life ....he should sing "The way you look tonight" to me :-D....i know at this point my M akka will say "expectations expectations !!"....

4 comments:

Madhu said...

Hey, I don't disapprove! I hope it comes true... I've dreamt of that too.

Madhu said...

Hey and the song you are looking for is from the movie Manmatha Leelai. The lyrics are by Kavignar Kannadasan and the music director is MSV and its sung by Yesudas. Its a 70s movie.

Sridhar said...

Hey, that's cool.. I didn't know you won awards in singing! I used to listen to quite a bit of carnatic too - lalgudi jayaraman, kunnakudi vaidyanathan, u srinivas etc. But these days, I'm just content with classical songs in movies...

Ankit said...

Any comments on Himesh Reshammiya's contribution to the field of music?